Categories
Thesis

Thesis progress, Week 7.

The past few weeks have allowed me to think deeply about what I want to get out of my thesis project and what form this project will take. I wrote last week of the idea of the “manufactured self” – a self that has been constructed socially by external sources of power.

I stumbled on Alexandru Dragulescu’s thesis paper Data Portraits: Aesthetics and Algorithms, which outlines his creative practice for data portraiture. He describes “the concept of data portraits as a means for evoking our data bodies” and showcases his “data portraiture techniques that are re-purposed in the context of one’s social network.”

With my project, I will attempt to create a portrait of each participant based only on his or her Facebook data. I want to use facial recognition models (C++ and Python), 3D modeling (Three.js, Blender), the Facebook Graph API, and IBM Watson’s Natural Language Processing and Personality Insights APIs.

 

Visit the website: http://rebecca-ricks.com/manufactured-self/becca.html

After much experimentation, I have an overall idea of what the user flow will look like. There will be an online web application + a physical component. Here’s the flow:

(1) User logs into web application (with Facebook Oauth)

(2) Real-time analysis of personality + generate 3D facial model

(3) The 3D object is manipulated/distorted based on the personality insights (?)

(4) At the show, users will be able to take home a physical artifact of their data portrait (thermal print of the 3D model? An .obj? A list of personality insights?)

This week, I used C++ and Python to get this library up and running, which allows you to create a 3D model of a face from a 2D image. I spent a significant amount of time trying to install the library, generate the landmark points, and run the analysis on my own images. Here’s what that process looked like:

Generating the landmark points based on a photo of my face.
Generating the isomorphic texture that will be applied to the 3D model.
The 3D mesh model that the texture is applied to.
The final output displayed in the browser using three.js.

I also got access to a few of IBM Watson’s APIs via the Python SDK. Specifically, I’m looking at the Personality Insights API, which analyses a body of text (your Facebook likes, your Facebook posts, etc). I ran the analysis on my own Facebook data, and added the information to the website I built from the JSON file that was generated.

You can see an example of what that analysis looked like on my own Facebook data:

http://rebecca-ricks.com/manufactured-self/becca.html

I also decided to test my 2D to 3D model on an earlier image I had created of my composite face based on every Facebook photo I’ve been tagged in.

http://rebecca-ricks.com/manufactured-self/facemash.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *